A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Winter

More snow and wind.  Nasty weather.  Lets hope it is February’s last gasp.  Think I’ll venture out to the Butter Street Barn today.   I do need some other things that I can get in that direction. 

I’m not worried about my driving – it’s all the other nuts on the road that scare me.  I once saw a car at a filling station spinning his wheels to try to get down to pavement.  On closer observation his front wheels were aimed straight at the pump, so if he ever did get traction he was going straight into it.  I left.  Somehow I didn’t want to know the end of that story.

When we first moved here from New Hampshire we got blamed for the 1978 blizzard.  There had been a little snow before it came and out of habit we threw that snow about 3 feet back from the driveway.  That’s to allow room for the next several snows – in New Hampshire.  Our neighbors laughed at us.  But after the blizzard came (17” of snow is a blizzard here) we were the only ones with a cleared driveway in the neighborhood.  The wind did make it a blizzard.  One of the vents on top of our house ended up in Pennsylvania I think.  We had snow in our attic until we got the vent replaced.

That storm came on a Thursday which was my usual grocery shopping day.  We were out of bread so I baked biscuits.  Luckily we were not out of power. 

I think that was the winter the kids still had ice skates that fit.  Ice skates were a staple part of kids wardrobe in New England.  The fire department made ice rinks at the parks right on top of the baseball fields. 

So my kids were used to skating on ball fields, not ponds.   They got an offer from some friends who lived near a pond to go skating.  I took them over and came home.  The phone was ringing when I got in the house.  One of my darlings had fallen thru the ice.  Trying to read the sign that said “Thin Ice” was the excuse.  No harm done, just wet and cold.  Cheeesh.

Later….

No comments: