A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Medical Insurance

In going thru stuff out of the RV that was unpacked in a rush I ran across a form I had to sign at the hospital in Florida.  It is titled NOTICE OF LIMITED LIABILITY PURSUANT TO SECTION 1012.965. FLORIDA STATUTES

The last sentence is very long but it says it all:

The law provides that “neither the state nor its agencies or subdivisions shall be liable to pay a claim or a judgment by any one person which exceeds the sum of $100,000 or any claim or judgment, or portions thereof, which, when totaled with all other claims or judgments paid by the state or its agencies or subdivisions arising out of the same incident or occurrence, exceeds the sum of $200,000”  (section 768.28(5), Florida statutes).

The employee who gave it to me to sign said “it says that no matter what we do to you all you get is $100,000”.  Her explanation was much shorter and to the point.

Sounds like tort reform to me – and a state did it.  I wonder if it has had much effect on the doctors malpractice insurance in Florida.  So maybe doctors feel free to drop their rubber gloves on the floor and use them anyway?  That’s sarcasm. 

If one state can do it they all can.    I’m for it. 

I am fortunate to have worked for 15 years at a company that provides a free supplement to Medicare coverage plus a prescription card that makes no prescription cost more than $6.50.   My medical bills are really very small for the expensive treatment I am getting. 

My step-granddaughter had breast cancer, a very small, few cells kind, thank goodness.  She was without insurance at age 21.  She contacted the Cancer Society and was told her bills would be covered after she had paid $2000.00.  That sounds like Major Medical insurance.  Everyone should have that.   

Having stayed away from chocolate chip cookies and sausage for a day or so, my belly is doing much better.  Darn.  I am still tired of a bland diet but can see it will be worth it if it makes me feel better. 

Later….

No comments: