A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Monday, November 22, 2010

So Far So Good

Last night I slept about 2 1/2 hours, the steroids were working.  I got permission to reduce the dose by 20% next week.

My good friend, LaDonna, came and drove me to the appointment.

Got home a little while ago.  I probably could have driven myself but I didn’t.  I would like to try it next week but Lory is discouraging it.

They gave me more steroids IV and lots of benadryl IV before they gave me the Taxol.  There was a 1/2 hour wait between those drugs and the chemo.

The Taxol was given slowly for 10 minutes, then I was checked for reactions, then a little faster for 10 more minutes, 3 times at 10 minutes, then, since I had no special reaction, the rest was pumped faster for 1/2 hour. 

They showed me a collection of hats and wigs.  I picked 2 hats and a white wig.  The nurse said I would probably not lose my hair this week, but next week it would start falling out.  At that point most people just buzz it off. 

You can lose a lot of heat through the top of your head so I will wear a hat at night. 

Since my granddaughter is going to beauty school I will delegate the buzz job to her.  In fact, just for practice she is giving me a haircut Wednesday evening.  In 2 weeks she will be doing people at the school.

I had a boiled mashed egg with a little mayo on it and have a dish of applesauce sitting here with some crackers nearby.  I am not to eat whole wheat bread, just white bread.  I don’t care for white bread so I will probably stick to crackers.

The chemo kills fast growing cells which include the lining of the digestive system.  So I should eat nothing that might scratch my innards. 

The only reaction I had with the chemo was a little flush from the steroids and a chemical taste in my mouth from the Taxol.

The Dr. is doing one more test on the biopsy material (HER2 NEU).  That is the one that says what grade the cancer is and tells how aggressive it is.  If it shows up positive they will add another ingredient to the chemo next week.

The Dr. I had before this one just made a note that it was positive for that test but did not elaborate so they are doing it again to be sure. 

I have appointments for chemo on 11/29, 12/6, then an appointment for blood lab work 12/13.  I see the Dr. again on 12/20, then get more chemo that day.  She said after 2 or 3 rounds they would do more tests to see how it is working.

It was a beautiful day today, 70 degrees.  Very rare for this time of year.  The leaves on the red trees at the hospital had mostly fallen off. 

The dogs were happy to see me come home as I had left them in the cages while I was gone. 

Maybe I will get more sleep tonight, maybe not.  I have lots of books to read if I can’t sleep.

Thanks for all the prayers.  I need courage and patience if you want to get specific.  I do not ask for a cure, God’s will be done.

Later….

 

1 comment:

Linda said...

So glad the chemo went well today. I expect and hope you will sleep tonight. Interesting info about the whole wheat bread. I pray you have the courage to have patience. I am not sure I said that right, but you know what I mean. Love, Sis