A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Number One Child’s Birthday

Parental Ramble Warning………………………………

At some point in the far distant past it occurred to me that my Mother had more to do with my birthday and I did.  So I started sending her flowers on my birthday.

I probably read it somewhere or saw someone on TV suggest that.  It wasn’t an original thought.  It was a fun thing to surprise her that way.

November 17 is my oldest daughter’s birthday, Lorain, otherwise known as Lory.  When it was popular to spell that name “Lori” she chose to spell hers with a “y”.  Her high school jacket had to be sent back to get the spelling right.  The stitching on the error still showed.

She marches to her own drum and I am very proud of her.  Her life has not been easy or perfect but what life is.   As two adult women we can agree to disagree on things.  We even yell at one another sometimes.

At some point in her youth we agreed to say (maybe yell) “GOODBYE” before we slammed down the phone. 

When she was a teen ager I once observed her talking on the phone saying “let me ask my Mother”.  Then she held the phone for a while and told them I had said NO. 

I am sorry I wished her children like herself.

2010-11 001

So today, on her birthday, she brought me flowers.

The arrangement is a combination of things from her friend John’s backyard and from his Mother’s yard and some cut flowers, also a jeweled butterfly from someone’s jewelry box. 

So very special and personal.

Thank you for appreciating your birthday and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you.

p.s. Here is an awwwww chuckle.  Poor short legged Bandit just sneezed and whacked his nose on the floor.

later….

1 comment:

Lory said...

My mother is the most wonderful and important person in my life as well as being responsible for it. I cant imagine life without her. Thanks MOM your the best.