A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Early Christmas Celebration

It isn’t often that I get all my grandchildren AND greatgrandchildren together at one time AND held still long enough to get a picture.

We met at Susan and Tim’s home for our celebration of Christmas.

Lory's_2010-12 041

Left to right – Jake, Willie, Jaryen held by Charlotte with Carson in front of her, and Andrea.

Lory's_2010-12 030

Carson was all dressed up with a tie and jacket.

 

Lory's_2010-12 033

Carlotte and Derrick, her special friend posed with Jake looking on.

Lory's_2010-12 036

Cookies were baked by all the women.  There is a story behind these cookies and it’s a bit of a ramble so look out. 

When my parents got married in 1935 my Mother baked cookies but my Father didn’t like them much.  So she asked his Mother what kind of cookies he liked.  She got the recipe for molasses cookies from her Mother-in-law. 

The recipe was passed to me along with the story and instructions for exactly how to bake them, which is a bit tricky. 

The first time I went to buy the molasses for this “old family recipe” I read the label on the bottle – it was our recipe right there for all the world to read.  What a surprise.

When they are baking you wait until they puff up and the tops crack, then you take them out and let them sit on the cookie sheet to finish baking before you take them off.  That way they are nice and soft and chewy. 

If you wait too long they are harder.  Some people probably like them that way but we prefer the soft ones.

2010-12 013

Lory took pictures while her special friend, John looked on with approval.

2010-12 014

Last but not least – me and my girls.  We ate, we laughed, we remembered old times. 

I even had a private concert from Willie on his guitar with the new amplifier.  

I was a little gabby as I am taking those steroids again today since tomorrow is a chemo day for me.  It’s not always a bad thing to gab – I hope. 

Later….

1 comment:

Linda said...

I loved seeing all the photos of the kids and grandkids and great grandkids! I didn't know that about the Molasses Cookie Recipe from Mom's mother-in-law being published, what an honor!! LOL