A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sunshine and Poke Greens

Having complained extensively about the rain I now have to compliment the sunshine.  I even went out and pulled a few weeds. 

I also found several small poke weeds growing.  I fight them every year.  I picked some as I remember eating them as a kid.  Then I looked poke greens up on the internet and decided not to eat them. 

The website I chose –>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokeweed said if you want to eat the young leaves you should boil them three times and throw out the water each time.  They are toxic.  

I know my Mother didn’t do that when we ate them.  I remember them as tasting strong and a bit bitter but edible with a little vinegar added. 

I guess I don’t need to add any toxins to the chemo treatments I’m getting.  So I will throw out the poke greens I picked.

Maybe I’ll pick some dandelion greens next. 

later….

 

No comments: