A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Salman Patties

My effort to eat a diet where a given meal does not include both protein and starch has gone to new heights.   Vegetables can be included with either one.

The problem arises when I make meat loaf or salmon patties.  Both those have always included protein, meat, and starch, bread crumbs.  I went to the health food store looking for a bread crumb substitute. 

My sister suggested dried mushrooms.  The store was out of those but I found some dried peas.  The salesman also suggested Agar Agar.  I had never heard of it but I bought some anyway.

002

Turns out it thickens things and is made of algae.  I put the dried peas and the agar agar in the blender and ended up with the mixture pictured below.

003

The patties looked a bit odd with green specks in them.

005

But the finished product looked and tasted fine.  Problem solved!

004

The only thing I would change next time would be to let the mixture set longer so the pieces of dried peas could absorb more liquid and soften more.

Stuff was taken to the garage sale site this evening.  Tomorrow will be a very busy day.

later….

1 comment:

CI said...

Very cool to hear that you're using agar. We actually use a form of it in biology to line petri dishes and culture bacteria! I tried to tell the students its a real thing that people eat, they didn't believe me.