A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chemotherapy # 9

Tomorrow will be chemotherapy treatment number 9.  Each Monday afternoon for three Mondays in a row I get chemo. 

The fourth Monday I just get a blood test to see if my white and red blood cells, and platelets are good. 

So far I have received a shot of Neupogen (<-link)on each fourth Monday.  That gets the white blood cell count up and makes it possible for me to keep getting the chemo.

So a round of chemo is three weeks and I am finishing the third round tomorrow.

I take a steroid, Dexamethasone 4 mg., today, the day before chemo.  I have been able to reduce the number of these pills from 10 to 7, 4 in the morning and 3 at night.

The main enduring side affects of all this seem to be fatigue, hair loss, hoarseness, constipation, and a lot of burping and various aches and pains that can be attributed to age.

I am fortunate that I haven’t been throwing up.  I can thank all the preparation they do for that.  Those pills I take today as well as what they give me before the chemo.

At the chemo appointment I am given more steroids (IV) and benadryl  (IV) and then a half hour break before I get the Taxol.   They have this stuff pretty well figured out by now and that is a blessing.

Some of my hair continues to grow.  I seem to be growing my own Mohawk hairdo.  The hair on the very top of my head is growing while the rest is almost completely gone. 

If it was warmer weather I could go without a hat or wig, well, I might need sunscreen. 

If I fight the fatigue and do too much one day, I pay the next day. 

I think the hoarseness is due to sores in my throat.  One possible side effect of Taxol is sores in the mouth or throat.  

All this is more than I ever wanted to know about this stuff.  My main job seems to be taking care of me, hiding from people who have a cold, and – did I say – taking care of me.

Of course, there are a couple of animals who share this house.  Teddy is very sympathetic and comes to check on me if I sneeze or even get a little down. 

Bandit is all dog.  He wants his food and his treats and an occasional back or tummy rub.  He also wants to dominate Teddy. 

They are a great distraction from “taking care of me”. 

later…

No comments: