A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Snow, Sniff, and a Laugh

It snowed all day yesterday, 5 or 6 inches at least.  Someone, probably my good neighbor, shoveled my driveway.  Bless his heart. 

Not that I’m going anywhere.  Still have this cold going on.  Ran a low grade fever last night.  If I take enough stuff I can sleep fine – until the dogs decide it’s time to get up.

They go out and decide it’s too cold so they come right back inside only to ask to go out again when they get warm.  ARRGGG!

The news this morning had a story about a burglary of a woman’s home.  They took electronics and some jewelry and a couple of urns.  The urns were full of powder.  The thieves tried sniffing the powder.  It was the ashes of her deceased Great Danes.  How is that for a chuckle to start the day?

Ramble warning----

I have had dogs most of my life but I have only had one cremated.  He was born under the kitchen table in a box, 1/2 Siberian Husky and 1/2 German Shepherd rapist.  He had one blue eye and one brown eye. 

There were four pups and we decided to keep one of them.  We watched to see who got out of the box first, who ate regular food first etc.  For once we wanted the pick of the liter.  We tied a shoestring around his neck so we would be sure which one we wanted.  He became known as Shoestring Joe.

He slept with his head on the food dish.  His siblings went to new homes but he never left home.  He lived to be 16 years old which is really old for a 60 lb. dog.  

The first and only time he tried to lift his leg he fell over on his back.  Okay, so he was a bit clumsy.

If I needed to board him at the vet’s it was no problem, even the last minute on a holiday week-end.  They just let him wander around the office. 

He died of a tumor on his liver.  I carried the back half of him around for a couple of weeks before reality sunk in.  Surgery might have given him six more months.  We decided against it. 

We had him cremated. 

When I got the ashes back I decided to plant some flowers at the cemetery.  Ooops, the ashes fell in the hole.  He is with his family.

later….

No comments: