A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Dog Psychology

Dog ramble warning.

If you have a dog or dogs you may understand this. 

My dogs spend their night in cages kennels.  That is because one of them, Bandit, can’t seem to settle down in one spot at night and tends to pee somewhere during the night.  In the kennel he is fine. 

Bandit’s kennel was one I already had from when I had a Great Dane, so it is huge, the biggest one I could find.

Since I don’t think it’s fair to put just one dog in a kennel, they both go to bed in kennels.

Bandit has been giving me trouble about getting into his kennel at night.  Even the smelly chewy treat wasn’t working.

I noticed there were doggy toys in his kennel and I know he doesn’t carry those around.  Then I happened to see Teddy in Bandit’s kennel.

I keep some pieces of an old wool blanket in each kennel.  So yesterday I took the toys out and washed the blankets.  After fixing Bandit’s kennel up all clean I closed and latched the door so Teddy couldn’t get in it.

The problem seems to be solved.  This morning Bandit was rubbing his face on his blanket in pure happiness. 

The first thing each morning is to let the dogs outside.  They potty and come right back in.  Bandit bounded out and in, unlike the last few days.

So he owns his space and is a happy dog again.  Maybe I should hang out a sign advertising my ability to analyze dogs.

later….

No comments: