A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Night Out

Friday night I got to see something that I have wanted to see for many years.  The Lipizzanor Horses.  (<—link)

Susan picked me up after she got off work and we went out to eat, then went on to the show.

Here are some pictures I took.  Susan got some better ones that I may post later.

2011-02 003

2011-02 004

2011-02 007

There were eight horses and they all performed together at the end.  The history and story of these horses is interesting to read if you follow the link in the first paragraph.

There was one black horse, very big with huge feet, who performed a bit.  He was a bit clumsy but very entertaining.  It made you appreciate the smooth performance of the Lipizzanors. 

They explained that these horses are slow to mature but can live to 30 years.  For 4 years they just let them be horses and watch them to see which ones would be good for training.  All the moves they do are normal moves that horses do in the field when they romp around.

At about age 4 training is started and only lasts for 45 minutes a day.  These must be the most pampered horses in the world.

The trick is to get them to do the moves when you want them to. 

I missed one perfect picture because the person in front of me got so excited that she waved her arm in front of my camera.  It’s one the moves called “airs above the ground” where the horse rears up and then kicks it’s back feet out behind, all 4 feet off the ground at once. 

I really enjoyed the evening even though I coughed some and couldn’t talk part of the time.  The hoarseness continues and there is a sharp pain in my back when I cough so I can’t do it properly.   It is a bit better each day. 

later….

No comments: