A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Dog Ramble Warning

Haven’t been anywhere so Teddy has had no excuse to poop on my bed again. 

After some serious thought I have decided I really shouldn’t get a dog for the dog.  I would be a hoarder if I could.  I have had as many of four dogs at a time in the past. 

Once I went camping for a week-end in a van camper with a Great Dane, a German Shepherd, a Standard Poodle and a red heeler. 

I was fostering the German Shepherd for my daughter.  The dog had been a breeder at a puppy farm and had to be house broken as well as introduced to steps, TV’s, doors, the outdoors, etc.

At a puppy farm the only thing the dog has to call their own is their dishes.

I was cage training her with a huge cage by saying “kennel up” and then throwing a treat into the cage.  It worked the first day.  The second day, not so much, I was boosting her into the cage instead of throwing treats.

That evening she took her food dish and put it by the front door.  I think she wanted to run away from that cage.  She did get the training eventually and headed immediately for the cage when told to.

She slept by the bedroom door.  I tried putting down a cushion for her but she wouldn’t use it.

When spring came I opened a window by my bed.  It took me a while to figure out what was wrong when she paced between the window and the door half the night.

She was trying to figure out which opening to the dangerous outside world was closer to me as I slept so she could protect me.  Her final decision was the window.

German Shepherds are amazing animals.  I really wasn’t sorry when she found her forever home.  All that serious obedience can be demanding on the owner.

So until I leave the house again I won’t have to worry about Teddy’s problems.  He doesn’t much like the hats I am wearing to keep my clipped head warm.  He peeks at me out of the corner of his eye.

Next time I will give him two pills and put him in his cage.

later….

 

No comments: