A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Teddy Pushes My Button

I didn’t have to wait long for “something” to happen.  The morning after the machine was installed Teddy pushed my button. 

He sleeps on the foot of my bed and in the morning he politely waits until he is sure I’m awake. 

He snorts now and then and if I snort back he snorts again.  If I snort back again he gets so pleased he squirms to the head of the bed and greets me. 

His greeting included a foot on the button – which triggered the machine in the kitchen to start saying “EMERGENCY”.  It says it three times before it makes a call. 

I made a dash for the kitchen and pushed the “Clear” button before it called. 

Now if Teddy figures this whole thing out he will know how to get me out of bed in a hurry.

It would have been appropriate for me to have fallen while dashing to the machine, thank goodness I didn’t.

It is still hot and humid.  If you are in a store with lots of air conditioning and walk out into the hot, humid air, your glasses steam up.

I was on my way to Walmart this morning at 8:00 a.m. and was home by 9:00 a.m.  I avoided the worst of the heat.  There are still some bags in the car.  I just brought in things that had to go in the refrigerator. 

My feet hurt, especially the right one which is swollen all the time.  This is probably due to the long term effects of chemo I’ve taken and the radiation I had last Oct.

When I mentioned this to the doctor she gave me a prescription for something for nerve pain, gabapentin.  I haven’t taken it yet.  I read the paper about it and have decided I don’t want to take it.  It can cause swelling of the extremities – duh – I’ve already got that so do I really want to make it worse?  

Some of the other side effects don’t sound so good either so I will do without that one.

I go tomorrow afternoon to get a blood test and Zometa.  I still get Zometa every two months.  It’s a bone strengthener.  I had it monthly for two years then they dropped it to every two months.

I’ll get to see my friends in the chemo room. 

Later….

No comments: