A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Goodbye Sweet Silly Dog

2010-01 002

She was born in the state of Maryland at a kennel owned by  a breeder of show dogs.  The litter was left together to see which dog would be dominant. 

It wasn’t Silly so she and another litter mate were brought to Ohio to be sold.  That ride must have been a big shocking thing to her as forever after she hated riding in a car.  She did get used to the RV and seemed to enjoy riding in that.

I got her as a present for myself on my 60’th birthday.  Her name was decided by her actions.  She spun in circles and peed whenever someone came to visit. 

She wasn’t housebroken when I got her.  The usual methods of housebreaking did not work.  I finally tied her on a short leash to my belt and periodically went outside and turned her loose.  She seemed to think I just didn’t want her to ever pee at all. 

The solution was at about 2:00 a.m. after a whole day of no peeing.  Outside on a long lead with a flashlight ---- she peed.  I praised her effusively and she got the message. 

Today I took her to the vet and had her put to sleep.  Yesterday when she peed outside she looked to make sure I approved. 

I’ve been putting this off for weeks.   Shame on me.  She was in pain that even the pain pills could not control.  Now she is at peace.

Teddy is sniffing her collar and laying where she used to lay.  Dogs grieve, too.   We will fell better….

later….

2 comments:

Linda said...

RIP dear Silly Dog!!

Beverly said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Kitty, but happy for Silly that she is no longer in pain.