A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Grocery Shopping

Grocery shopping is not my favorite thing to do.   In my perfect world food should just appear when needed.  Right!

So I have to play tricks on myself to get the job done.  I make a list of what I am out of or low on.   This goes on for several days.  I put it off and figure how to get by without going to the store. 

Eventually I have to do it.  This week I waited until I was hungry and had a pretty long list of basic things like mustard and ketchup and mayonnaise.    (I just had to go look at the bottle to see how to spell mayonnaise – who knew it had two n’s in it.) 

The greatest joy is when I can skip a whole aisle. 

When the kids were teen agers I used to make the list in the order the items were kept in the grocery store, give them half the list and half the money.  The list was on an envelope with coupons in the envelope and a “C” by the items that had a coupon.  They could keep whatever money they had left but they had to get all the items on the list. 

They soon learned that not all generics brands were a good idea but some were okay.

I always had to take them with me when they were really little.  The smallest one in the cart seat, the other two had to keep one hand on the cart.  The first thing we got was a little box of animal crackers which they had to carry by that little string handle.  That kept all hands busy.

Maybe I just miss dragging kids along with me – NO that isn’t possible.

Maybe I’m just lazy. 

Today I did the BIG shopping and found almost everything on my list.   It was a bit cooler today than it has been for several days.  There have been heat alerts and the news said someone’s dog died of heat and thirst.  Really stupid.

My dogs haven’t wanted to stay out for very long.  I keep the A/C thermostat set at 78 which is great when it is in the 90’s outside.  The heat index was 110 yesterday.  We haven’t been taking walks.  That kind of heat is as bad as the below zero weather in the winter.  You can always put more clothes on but you can only take so much off.

Later….

1 comment:

Bev said...

Ya, grocery shopping is the pits. I liked your description about the list, etc.