A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Getting Rid of Stuff

A very dear friend of mine is having to help her husband dispose of her sister-in-laws possessions.   Her sister-in-law is in hospice but still alert and aware of what’s going on.   What a sad but necessary job.

The estate sale is this week.  I’m going to try to help them out, even though it may just be a a warm body to watch for shop lifting.

To top it off there are family members who are objecting to the process. 

I am so grateful that our family was able to get through emptying our Mother’s home without undue problems.  The theory was that if you got one thing you wanted you had to take 10 things you didn’t want.   After that the neighbors were called in for a free garage sale.  The rest went to the Salvation Army.

It was a very different circumstance for us as our Mom was already gone so we didn’t have to account to anyone for every item and where it went and for how much.

There is something to be said for dropping over suddenly. 

Sad subject, I know, but it eventually gets us all and as I get older I think more about it.  I’ve been forcing stuff onto my kids for quite a while, trying to simplify my life and un-complicate  things for them later.

Estate sales can be fun.  A friend and I ran one once for a couple who were moving into their retirement home.  A frail elderly lady driving a very expensive car found a vegetable brush in the kitchen and offered 10 cents for it.  I accepted her dime.  Then as she was going down the front steps she wobbled so I helped her down the steps.  Everyone teased me about the service I gave for a dime purchase.  Hey, maybe she got that car by suing someone for falling on their steps.

You never know what’s gonna happen….

later….

No comments: