A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Arrived - Lake City, FL

We arrived in good shape Saturday evening about 5:00 p.m. The trip was good, well, mostly good. We left home about 9:00 a.m. Friday morning. Got through Cincinnati with no problems, it was a no work day. Stopped that night in northern Georgia at a Walmart. I shouldn't have been surprised that the parking lot was still almost full - Black Friday shoppers. There was room at the back under a light pole, my favorite place to spend the night at Walmart. I went inside and did a little shopping, when I came out 3 other RV's were pulled in so I felt better.

We got a real early start Saturday, the GPS said we would be there by 2:00 in the afternoon. Atlanta was busy, with a lot of traffic and a lot of exit only lanes and merging traffic. I tried to go with the flow of traffic which was often over the speed limit. No one wants to drive behind an RV so I got passed a lot.


The brake light had been coming on after about an hour of driving for some time. I got to worrying about it being something actually heating up in a wheel. I was hoping it was just a bad connection. I had asked the RV repair people to check it and they said there was no problem.

I stopped at a Subway for a sandwich, got a foot long so it would be for lunch and dinner on a busy day of driving. I was sitting in the RV in the parking lot eating 1/2 the sandwich when there was a knock on the door. A man wanted to talk to me about my back tire. I went out to talk to him and his buddy. He said the one tire was wobbling when I drove in and he could fix it at his shop just one exit back north of there. I told him I would think about it. Was I being scammed?

I got back in the RV to find that my 1/2 sandwich had been consumed by my furry friends. They all looked guilty so they all got yelled at. Luckily I had put the other 1/2 in the frig. Plan B.

I got to thinking about the brake light and the tire and decided to maybe let him take a look at it. After they got their lunch I got out and said they could take a look at it and told them about the brake light. Before I knew it they had a jack under my RV and had the tire off, right there in the parking lot. The back wheels are duals, as they took off the inside tire on that same side they saw brake fluid dripping down.

Of course, they said I needed 4 new back tires at $150. each and I said no. We had a little discussion and I decided they should fix the brake fluid leak and put my spare tire on instead of the worst one they took off. They wouldn't take a check and they couldn't take a credit card and it was Saturday afternoon. They kept offering to take me to an ATM machine and I refused (were they out of their minds?). I felt a little trapped sitting there with my tires off.

They did the job I asked and I paid cash which was agreed on before they did the work. So I was either royally scammed or saved from a major accident by Murphys Auto Repair, I-75 exit 92, Arabi, GA. I guess I will choose to think they were honest men and they did me a favor by noticing that tire.

You have seen those pictures of plumbers with their head under the sink, taken from behind? Well, an overweight mechanic on his back, head under an RV is another whole picture. I didn't take it, his buddy was watching me. The whole thing took about 2 1/2 hours. After that we made good time through construction in south GA. I even passed some people poking along.

So far I've only found deodorant to be missing and that was easily fixed, Walmart.

We have had a leisurely day today taking walks and a nap. I'll post some pictures another time.

Later....

No comments: