A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Laptop Healthy Again

Picked up my laptop from the shop Thursday and today I finally got around to turning it on. It works great. I am back onto the genealogy thing with papers spread out all over the counter.

Blank census forms are great to have so I can read the headings with a magnifying glass and try to figure out what I'm looking at. Even the blank forms are interesting. In 1820 the only names written down were the head of the household, the men, everyone else just got counted by the age range they fell into, there were columns for "Slaves" and "Free Colored Persons", no names just a count of how many were in an age range, like under 14, between 14 and 26 etc. Not much political correctness back then. Only free white men had their names recorded.

We've come a long way baby!

Later

No comments: