A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Monday, November 2, 2009

Hepped Up

I am hepped up on Prednisone for my CAT scan tomorrow and my laptop with all the geneology data is at the shop (it isn't in any real danger - just it can't see the WIFI connection since I downloaded some updates to *&%$# Vista) and I'm supposed to be drinking chalky Barium Sulfate Suspension tonight - fool thing says Berry Smoothie on the label - like REALLY.

So I will vent on here for everyone to see. I have to take the Prednisone because I am allergic to the IVP - stuff they inject during the scan. I also take a pill one hour before the test and drink another "Berry Smoothie" 1/2 hour before the test. That is tricky since I live 1/2 hour drive from the place, and need to arrive 15 minutes early - etc. I will be drinking and driving.

The PET scan is Thursday. Here is more than you ever wanted to know about this stuff. The PET scan is flat, 2 dimensional. They inject radioactive sucrose in my veins for that and then wait an hour so it can go to any area that is wanting sugar, like the cancer cells or any area that is inflamed. So if something shows up on that they have to look at the CAT scan to see exactly where it is. I get these tests every 6 months or so.

I fool them by only taking 1/2 pills of the Prednisone. I'm not that allergic! I just get a few hives if I take nothing.

Then I wait for the results of these tests to see if I am going to be able to take a trip this winter or if they will want to change my treatment in some way.

There, I feel better already. My life is controlled by doctors and I am really grateful for that most of the time. Just now and then I get impatient about it.

I relegated Red and Teddy (30 lb. dogs) to their kennels (cages) last night so I could sleep better. I've been tossing and turning and sometimes they fall out of bed (single size). Silly never tries to invade the bed until I am out - unless I don't get up early enough - then I find a 65 lb poodle standing over me and she has very bad breath. The time change has them all confused but they will adjust pretty fast.

Later

No comments: