A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Not Quite so Grumpy

After I complain I feel like I should apologize.  I do feel much better today.  I even made a meat loaf.  Actually when I make meat loaf I make 3 or 4 small ones since I cook for one.  That way I can freeze them and thaw them one at a time. 

I’ve always tried to use up things in the refrigerator when making a meat loaf.  It has gotten me into trouble a couple of times.

In the early 1960’s we lived in University of Florida married  students housing with roaches water bugs crawling over everything. 

The buildings were WWII army barracks and the wiring would not support A/C which would have helped keep them under control. 

I learned to wash dishes before and after using them. 

I learned to shake shoes upside down before putting them on. 

I learned not to stand in front of a kitchen cupboard door when opening it as bugs would often fall off the door.

I learned to seal up everything possible. 

So I made meat loaf and used up some stale rice crispies.  It didn’t take them long to go stale in that humidity.  The rice crispies swelled up in the meatloaf. 

As we sat down to eat I realized what they looked like roach water bug egg cases.   My husband and I looked at the meat loaf and looked at each other.  I said “rice crispies”.   We ate the meat loaf.  We were on a very tight budget.

The other time was when I was dating my 2nd husband, Bill.  I had added some left over baked beans to the meat loaf one night when he came to dinner.  He looked completely shocked.  He did manage to eat some of it. 

You had to know Bill.  He was a bit of a perfectionist.  Picture that – me married to a perfectionist.  It worked though, for 14 years until he died. 

I’m not nearly so perfect now.

So today’s meat loaf got some aged herb and garlic marinade put into it.  It’s not half bad, just different.

That was a pretty good ramble.  I MUST be feeling better.

Later….

No comments: