A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

New Windows + & -

The windows have been in long enough for me to make a judgment about them.  They are great for keeping the noise out.

They are great for keeping out the sounds I like also.  Such as the church chimes at noon and five in the evening and the bird song. 

Apparently the dogs can still hear the five o’clock chimes as that is when they want their supper.

These windows don’t rattle in the wind, which is nice.  Now I listen for the wind chimes to know when the wind is blowing.

One of the best parts is that they are all clean.  I’m sure that won’t last very long but it is nice right now.  And when they get dirty they will be much easier to clean as they tip in or even lift out.

The house I lived in as a teen-ager was about 150 years old at that time.  It’s REALLY old now.  The window by my bed had a pattern in the frost in the winter.  It looked like a fence post and a path, all in white. 

The heat came up into our (three of us shared) bedroom through a hole in the floor from the kitchen.  The hole was under a dresser. 

The heat register was in a room downstairs.  That register was the goal of everyone on cold mornings.  You could dress inside a big nightgown or robe while standing over that register.

One room had to be heated with a fireplace.  One of my jobs was to carry in two buckets of coal every day to fuel that fire in the winter.  Also to shake it down and bank it over with ashes to hold it overnight.  I used to think my arms were at least an inch longer than they would have been if I didn’t have to carry coal.

The furnace was in the cellar which was accessed from outdoors and down some stone steps. 

There was a snake in the cellar.  We only knew he was there because we found his skin now and then.  He got bigger over time.

Home canned goods were stored in the cellar.  Could that snake be above somewhere?  Might he drop down?  It made getting a can of peaches or tomatoes or green beans a real adventure.

Enough rambling.

Later….

2 comments:

Linda said...

Boy, does talking about that snake bring back some "memories". Yes, I, too, always thought it was going to fall on me when I went down there. That cellar only had an outside entrance, so you also had to go outside and usually after dark, to fetch something for Mom. Very scary. Once when on the back porch, I saw eyes on the hot water pipe looking back at me, it was that darn snake. I believe it was the only time I ever saw it, other than his/her shed skin.

Kat said...

Yes, Sis, we saw his eyes before Dad had plastered in around the faucets on the back porch. We hadn't lived there very long. So actually, we moved into HIS/HER space. There was a black snake in the corn crib, too. That was good for keeping the rodents down.