A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Weather

Tornado warnings, sirens, thunder and lightening.  I live in a corner of a county so it is tricky to know whether the warnings apply to me or not.  Turns out it was at least 10 miles south of me. 

There have been two or three inches of rain so for today and they expect two or three more inches tonight.

The sump pump in the cellar is working.  It isn’t at the lowest spot in the floor so I know there is a big puddle.  I used to go take a dust pan and scoop the water into the sump pump. 

Don’t think I’ll do that.  I think I will open the little vents in the glass block windows and turn on the dehumidifier.

There is also a flash flood watch but that doesn’t bother me.  I’m on high ground.

This morning I went to get blood drawn and then went for a few groceries.  I also mailed a couple of bills.

In the mail I got an envelope of old pictures and papers that my sister found while cleaning out their house.  Going through them was a trip into the  past.

Don’t know why I thought about this today, maybe looking at the old pictures reminded me of other things from the past.

When you have your 80th birthday the White House will send you a birthday card if you ask them to.  So when my Mother’s birthday was coming I wrote a letter asking for a card for her.

This was in 1992.  The first President Bush was in office.  When I went to visit her on the big day she was very excited.  She told me she had received a birthday card from “Barbara and what’s his name”. 

She really liked Barbara because she was a common woman, someone you would like for a neighbor, and she didn’t dye her hair. 

What a fun memory.  Happy birthday Mom.

later….

 

 

1 comment:

Linda said...

Yes, Happy Birthday Mom!