A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Garage News

Thursday a.m. – Got the car to the garage and they gave me a ride back home.  For just one day it’s nice to know I’m not going anywhere.  More than one day would not work.

Once, years ago, in New Hampshire with the snow piled high, I was stuck at home with two cars in the garage that wouldn’t start.  I called a garage and they came.  They checked the oil in one of them, the oil made a string from the dip stick to the engine.  That was when I didn’t consider maintaining cars my job. 

Husband was out of town for three weeks in January.  This was a common thing. 

I called a taxi, bundled 3 pre-school kids into it, went to the hardware store and bought a dip stick heater.  The taxi waited for me. 

The way the dip-stick heater worked, you replaced the dip stick with it and plugged it into electricity.  It heated the oil.  Then the engine would start. 

I’ve learned a lot since then.  I get the oil changed on a regular basis and try to keep everything in good shape. 

Thursday p.m. – Garage says it’s a broken solenoid.  They can’t get just that part – have to get the whole thing, whatever the whole thing is.  Cost just under $500.00.

It will take several days to get the “whole thing” so I have my car back till then. 

Did I ever mention that IT’S ALWAYS SOMETHING!!!

Later….

No comments: