A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Monday, April 19, 2010

New Fireplace and Everything Happens at Once

Yesterday that Silly poodle of mine decided to “fix” the couch.  Doesn’t she look comfy with all the cushions on the floor?  At least the cushions aren’t torn open with stuffing strewn all around.  I came home to that with the Great Dane one time.

2010-04 001

Actually it is an old fireplace made useful again.  It was the only fireplace left open in this old house. 

I had the chimney’s checked soon after moving here in 2002 and they were not useable.  I had them capped so animals couldn’t get in them. 

The house next door has a colony of bats living in their chimney.  I watch them emerge at dusk on summer evenings.  I like bats as they eat those pesky mosquitoes but I don’t want to live with them. 

I grew up in a very old house and my bed was next to an abandoned chimney where birds nested.  They were a wake-up call every spring morning.

Two fireplace installing companies were called to give estimates on this job.

One put me on a waiting list for a call to arrange a visit.  When they finally came out they offered to take out that old cast iron thingy and sell me a nice brick front fireplace.  Otherwise it wouldn’t be possible to install a gas log. 

I checked what that old iron fireplace front was worth.  They are on ebay from $300.00 to $500.00.  So I guess I’ll keep it. 

The other company said they could do it.  Today they did it.

First the before picture….

2010-04 002

and then the after picture.  I even have a remote control for it.

2010-04 005

While working in the basement to install the gas lines they noticed water.  It was coming from the water line that goes outside. 

Of course, I’ve been watering the newly planted grass seed every morning.  So a plumber was called and he just left.  My outside faucet had frozen and burst.  All better now except for the large puddle of water in the cellar.  Of course, the lowest part of the cellar floor is not where the sump pump is.

To top off the week the washing machine stopped working on Saturday.  That repairman is scheduled for Thursday.  It’s a Kenmore that I got at a garage sale.  Of course, Sears tried to sell me a contract and several other options when I scheduled the repair.  I ended up hanging up on them.  What is there about “NO THANK YOU” that some people don’t understand.

And it’s Monday so that is trash day again.  Let’s not even go there.

There’s always something.

No comments: