A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Museum in Germantown and Porch Roof

My memory isn’t what it used to be.  I forgot to tell about where we went last Saturday.  While riding around looking at paint colors on houses, Lory and I stopped by the museum in Germantown. http://veteransmuseumgermantown.org/

It is in an old building with an interesting history, once was a tobacco barn, then a Masonic building.  Now it houses everything from dresses made from parachute material to models of military equipment.  It is a work in progress.  The first floor is mostly WWII.  Upstairs is going to be Korea and Vietnam. 

It is a great place for school trips and for young people to learn about what other generations have done for our freedom.

Several veterans are working on it and doing a great job. 

Yesterday I called a man who had been suggested to me to fix up my front porch roof.  It needs a lot of repair.  He told me to measure it and call him with the numbers and he could give me a quote over the phone.  Then he said he was cheap because his workers were from Ecuador and probably didn’t have green cards.

Do I want to support these illegal workers?  No, not really.  I don’t mind doing business “under the table”.  That is paying them so they don’t have to report it on their income tax. 

So I have called around and have received a quote on painting the house.  I didn’t gulp too hard at the quote.  He says he knows people who can fix the porch roof also.   Will those people be citizens of our great country?  I hope so.

Later….

2 comments:

RV Video Testimonial said...

Can you share the snaps or videos of this building with us? I was thinking about to get my school trip to this historical building.

Kat said...

Click on this link http://veteransmuseumgermantown.org/ to the museum's website. They have some pictures on there. I didn't have my camera with me when we visited.