A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Better Each Day

Been feeling a bit better each day. 

Yesterday I got my trash and recyclables together and out to the street.  I even brought the recyclable bin back in today.

Today I went grocery shopping and made the extra effort to ask where to find the moth balls. 

It took three different Walmart employees to get me there but we found them.  I bought some moth crystals, hoping they would go down the cracks between boards in the deck.  Some of them did go down.  I think the rabbits are already gone.

The odor is overwhelming when you step out the back door.  When the dogs want to come inside they get a bit frantic as they are standing in that smell. 

I threw some of the moth balls under the RV to keep the squirrels from chewing on the wiring.

I also picked up mouse poison.  I put some in the cellar every fall.  They can stay outside, not in my cellar which leads to my home which leads to my food.  Although I’ll bet Rascal would enjoy having them to chase.

All this shopping involved a lot of walking and my feet and legs are letting me know.

We have been having beautiful weather with an occasional shower at night.  Most of the corn in the fields is already ruined but some of the soybeans still look okay.

Tried for a picture of the street today but the sun was in the wrong spot and I moved the camera.  I’ll get it yet.  

WHY MY LAWN IS BUMPY

Before we civilized people dammed up the rivers they overflowed every year, washing soil and rocks down, spreading out in places and leaving some items behind as the water slowly went down.

If you dig down in the dirt here you find nice round river rocks about the size of a muskmelon (smaller than a bowling ball, bigger than a soft ball) at a level between a foot and two feet. 

They work their way out of the soil as the ground freezes and thaws.  They circled every tree as decorations when I moved here.

So over the years the soil settles between the rocks as they work their was up.  I’m not sure what the solution is.  When I was physically fit I had no problem so I’ll not worry about it. 

later…. 

 

No comments: