A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Friday, June 29, 2012

Thinking about it

A handsome young man can talk an old lady into about anything. 

The Dr’’s office called on Tuesday offering me an appoint on Wed. with one of the other Drs since mine would be on vacation for two weeks.  I took the appointment.

It was with a young man who went over my history with me.  He pointed out that the first chemo I took was Taxol which I quit because of side affects.  (numb hands and feet and sleeplessness due to having to take steroids the day before) 

He explained they had improved it in the eighteen months since I took it.  I would no longer need the steroids the day before and the side affects were less.  It even has a new name – Abraxne.

He also prescribed some new pain meds, some of them have a pretty high street value.  One of them is supposed to last twelve hours.  All my other ones last only six hours.

He wanted me to start the new chemo that day.  I said I needed to think about it. 

I’ve been thinking about it. 

I have decided to try it – as he says I can still stop at any time.  He says I should be in a fetal position sobbing before I stop chemo.  As I have said before, people don’t die of cancer, they die of treatment.

For those of you who are pro’s at this – my CA  27-29 was 607 the last time they tested for it.  I may have told some people that it was much higher but apparently I misunderstood.  That number seems to follow the advancement of the cancer for me.  I have heard it isn’t always accurate for everyone.

One reason I will try it is I want to vote next fall.  This may give me a chance to do that.  I think this election is worth the effort.

So now I need to call the dr’s office and tell them.  Maybe I’ll wait till Monday for that, just to be sure it is the right decision.

later….

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hummm...glad you are thinking about it! Love Sis