A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Dog Emergency & Chemo Break

Last night I noticed blood spots on the floor of the bathroom.  I had cut one of Bandit’s toenails earlier – I have to cut one at a time.  So I checked his nails and while doing that I found a large wound on his hip.

He had a large fatty tumor or sebaceous  cyst there ever since I got him a year ago.  It was about the size of my fist.  At first I thought he had somehow scrapped it off but now I think it burst.  It was too late to call the vet so I waited till this morning.

We got a 2:30 appt. and he got a large area shaved and got the wound cleaned out.  The spot had actually shrunk over night until it was only about an inch across. 

So now we have pills, three kinds – (1) Prednisone 20 mg give 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for 5 days, then every 24 hours for 10 days,  then every other day till gone.

(2) Gabapentin caps 400 mg. Give 1 capsule every 12 hours for pain management.  After 2 days give 1 per day.  May cause mild sedation.

(3) Cephalexin 500 mg capsules.  Give 1 capsule every 12 hours until gone.  Give with food. (antibiotic)

Got all that?  It’s more complicated than my pills.  I am to leave the wound open and let it heal on its own.  I’m not to let him lick it very much.

I was able to get him into the car and into the vets office by myself.  Of course, as soon as he realized where he was he wanted out. 

When we got home he had trouble getting out of the car.  I waited while he assessed the situation and he finally figured it out.

I will do you a favor and not put on a picture of that wound.  I guess I can’t call him lumpy anymore.  He still has a couple of other small lumps but nothing as big as the one that is gone.

I’m getting an extra long break from my chemo pills.  The doctor’s office didn’t get the prescription sent in till late.  I would normally have started the pills Monday night. 

Now I don’t know when I will get them.  They haven’t called to ask if I am in the hospital or hospice or a nursing home or getting home health care.  If I answer “yes” to any of those four questions I don’t get the pills.  

Things will work themselves out….

later….

 

No comments: