A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Austin, TX

I left about 10:00 a.m. this morning and didn't stop except for pit stops and lunch and gas until 5:15. This is a Federal Immigration checkpoint. It is about 50 miles north of the border. When it was our turn a car in the line beside us was stopped and a big beautiful Doberman held by a Federal agent was lungeing and barking at the cars trunk. I wanted to see what they had found but Scooby was going crazy at the window and I was waved through without any checking at all.

We ran into slow traffic at Victoria, San Antonio, and Austin. I thought Sunday would be a good day to travel but a lot of people were going home from a week-end outing. It is also spring break time.

These cactus grow wild in the fields and people use them in their natural flower gardens. The dogs got into one while trying to meet some other dogs. Red has licked all the hair off the top of one of her feet. Scooby has a scrape under one of his leg pits (?). I found 4 ticks the last 2 days we were in Los Indios. 3 were on me and one on Scooby.
The checkered flag is where I want to go, the green arrowhead is me, I don't understand the white arrow. Maybe they thought it was a divided highway. I found it in spite of the confusing instructions.


When I arrived at the campground I had picked it was full. I hadn't called ahead as I wasn't sure I would go so far. They were kind enough to fit me in between another RV and a pile of gravel. They even strung an extension cord from their shed so I have electricity. It is supposed to be very windy tomorrow and I had planned to stay here for 2 nights before moving on. I will look for something further along the way but not too far in case that wind gets really strong. There is always Walmart. Don't know if I will find any WIFI but I am enjoying it tonight.

No comments: