A Great Grandmother with dogs who is fighting breast cancer. This blog is to keep friends and family up on the latest happenings in my life.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Gettysburg, PA part 2

We had a visit from Aunt Bev. She drove us around the battlefield so we could figure out where to go on Sat. to see the living history exhibits. Then she took us out to eat. I grabbed this picture before she left in the morning.

While she was with us we visited the Wills house where Lincoln spent the night when he was here to give his famous speech, the Gettysburg Address. This is a picture of the bed he slept in. Other than this bed we were dissapointed with the displays. They were mostly pictures and written accounts of the times.

Poor Willie was trampled by a Confederate horse -- statue.

On Saturday we were back at the Battlefield visiting the Living History presentations. There will be a big reenactment for the 4th of July.


This is an example of the camp they set up. The video below is a little over a minute long. It shows the Union soldiers loading and firing their rifles. The speaker kept getting in the way of my camera. The boys were not impressed with the sound the guns made, not loud enough for them.


Our trip home was uneventful, thank goodness. I delivered Willie and Jake to their homes and then picked up the dogs. They were very happy to see me. Silly (65 lb. standard poodle) hates riding in the car and I always have to lift her front half in, then boost her back half into the car. This time, for the first time ever, she tried to get in on her own. Of course, I still had to do the back of her.
Now I am taking a break and restocking my refrigerator and enjoying being home.

No comments: